Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's the little things...


This week I have added a very simple pleasure to my Christmas shopping, and grocery shopping as well.  I don't know about you guys, but the Newmans are not very good recyclers. We would like to be, we do some things sometimes,  but a lot of the time we are doing well just to get the trash out, much less getting it sorted and to the appropriate locations.  I am not proud of this fact, just honest.   
I do think about those things, though, I would like to do what we can toward caring for the earth.  I have seen reusable shopping bags around town - at Kroger - and lots of other places. But I have always resisted the idea, thinking that I would forget to take them to the store, and really just not finding the idea very appealing. :(
Until I spotted this shopping tote at Barnes and Noble when I was checking out. It was just so .... pretty. It is a great size, lovely, and cost $4.95 because I am a Barne and Noble member.  I bought three.  I took them to Kroger a bit later that afternoon and when I asked the checker to put my groceries in these bags, she gave me a small discount on my groceries. The bags are hanging in my hallway looking very pretty and festive, I loved using them at Kroger because 7 or more plastic bags of groceries fit in my three larger stronger bags, and I feel very recycle savy! I could carry my groceries in the house with one trip (the bags are heavier but no big deal:))  You guys may already be on top of this type of thing, but I just wanted you to know!  Have a wonderful Monday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to chuckle when I read that...I bought 5 of those plain black ones at Kroger, and was so proud of myself. Unfortunately I keep forgetting to bring them into the store when I shop! It always hits me in the checkout line. (sigh) Hopefully, you are much more on top of things than I am...maybe I would be better at it if my bags were cute!

by Laurie Newman said...

Oh you would definitely do better if they were cute. Cutest really matters:)

Anonymous said...

We are recyclers at our house, and I think I would like the pretty bags better, but I'm usually happy with just remembering them. I do keep them in the car, though, which helps with the remembering. Usually. :)